by Sirius Fourside
What is the Ardent Nova?
I didn’t even realize this was a thing until a reader wrote to me about it. The Ardent Nova is a machine with a singular purpose: decarbing weed so it’s ready to be made into edibles. It’s a set-and-forget style system, meaning you can load it up, start it, and walk away. While you’re gone, the Ardent Nova will slowly and thoroughly decarb your weed and stop applying heat as soon as it senses the job is done. No need for an oven because it plugs directly into the wall. Plus it makes almost no smell whatsoever; I had to put my nose right up to it to smell anything.
Downsides? It takes longer to decarb your buds than the oven-based methods (up to 2 hours instead of the normal 30 minutes), you can only do an ounce of bud at a time (maximum), and it’s super expensive ($295).
However, after trying out the Ardent Nova, I was converted. I live in a condo in a populous city, so my neighbors are pretty close to me. The total lack of smell was enough to make me a fan of the Ardent Nova all by itself, but being able to start the process and go run errands without worry sealed the deal.
Convenience: 9/10 (would be a 10 if not for the price)
Smell Containment: 10/10
- Ardent Nova Decarboxylator
- Weed (1oz maximum at a time)
First, consult the instructions that come with the device. Here are the general steps:
- Plug in your Ardent Nova
- The light on the front will turn green
- Take off the top and purple seal underneath
- Take out the metal container and load it up with weed, up to an ounce at a time
- Put the metal container back in, put the seal on top (it fits loosely), and replace the lid
- Press the button on the front of the Ardent Nova
- The light on the front will turn red
- Come back in roughly 2 hours (or whenever you feel like, it stops automatically)
- The light will turn green again when it’s done
- It takes about 2 hours to decarb a full ounce
After decarbing weed in the Ardent Nova, this is what the buds looked like inside
There you have it! You now have a handful of effective methods to decarb your weed and get ready to make butter, oil, gummies, tinctures, infused food, etc.
If you’re not sure what to do with your newly decarbed cannabis, butter is the best option in my opinion. Cannabutter is super versatile and can be used in hundreds of dishes that use butter or just as a topping on a “regular” dish (like a baked potato).