by Nebula Haze
Looking to grow a few ounces to a pound of weed indoors? Then this article is for you! Since you’re here, I imagine you’re thinking about setting up a new grow space. I’ve grown in a bunch of different places in various homes, and I wanted to share my experience with you.
You’re probably wondering, “Where should I grow?” The most common options are a closet, a room, a basement, an attic, a garage, or a spare bathroom.
These are great choices, but instead of growing plants in the open air, I think most people growing for personal use would be happiest with a mid-size tent. This size tent accommodates many popular grow lights and can grow up to about a pound of cannabis per harvest (a mid-size grow tent has dimensions of 2’x4′ or 3’x3′ with a height of 5′-6′).
I like grow tents for growing cannabis because…
- Cheap – A grow tent usually costs less than building a grow space from scratch and can be set up in an afternoon.
- Instant Grow Space – Place a grow tent almost anywhere to create an instant contained grow space that’s reflective, waterproof (protect your floors!), and light-proof. They also can be placed almost anywhere, including inside a closet, room, basement, attic, etc.
- Easy to Cool – Just add a decent exhaust fan to easily vent heat and ensure great air circulation.
- No Smells – A grow tent can be set up with a carbon filter to prevent anyone from smelling plants outside the grow area. It can be difficult to contain smells in an open room and using fragrances or perfumes can affect the taste of buds.
- Protect Buds – Buds are very sticky and it’s easy for them to hold onto hair, fur, dust, and other random stuff floating in the air. A grow tent has mesh intake holes, which prevents a lot of standard debris from getting near your buds. The mesh intake holes also help protect plants from any bugs or spiders randomly crawling on your plants.
This is the grow tent I’m currently using: TopoLite 2’x4’x6′ (0.6mx1.2mx1.8m)
Recommended Tent for 3’x3’x6′ size: CoolGrows 36″x36″x72″
Why these particular grow tents?
- TopoLite Brand – The main reason I’m using this brand is because they’re one of the few companies that offer a 2’x4’x6′ size grow tent. With only 2′ of depth you can easily reach all of your plants, and 6′ is usually plenty of height even if your plants get taller than expected. There’s nothing particularly special about the TopoLite tents, but they come with all the standard features and are relatively cheap. Additionally, as of this writing, their tents are all available via Amazon Prime. This is a big plus for me. I like the free 2-day shipping and the fact that Amazon will return any item for any reason without a hassle.
- CoolGrows Tents – CoolGrows tents are just generally higher quality than the TopoLite tents. They don’t have any extra features but they feel sturdier and have stronger zippers. The two downsides are that CoolGrows doesn’t offer a 2’x4’x6′ size (yet) and their tents aren’t available from Amazon Prime. If you can find the size you want and don’t mind ordering from a third-party seller, a CoolGrows tent is a great choice.
These grow tents support grow lights like:
- 250W HPS grow light – up to 9 oz harvest
- Small Quantum Board – up to 10 oz harvest
- 315 LEC Grow Light – up to 10 oz harvest (unless you follow my 315 LEC “grow a pound” method)
- 400W HPS Grow Light – up to 14 oz harvest
Example Plants Grown in This Size Tent
8 plants under 315 LEC in 2’x4’x5′ grow tent – Harvested 497.23 g (17.5 oz or over a pound!) of quality bud
Same size tent with a 250W HPS produced a plant that yielded 6.2 oz at harvest
These 3 autoflowering plants were grown in the same grow tent, also under a 250W HPS and yielded 6.7 ounces at harvest between the 3 plants
This hydroponic White Rhino plant was grown in a 3’x3’x6′ grow tent with a 250W HPS grow light and yielded 6.4 ounces at harvest
Another view of that plant
These 7 plants were grown in a 2’x4’x6′ grow tent with a 315 LEC grow light and yielded a total of 384.76g (13.57 oz)
Those are just a few examples. In my opinion, a mid-size tent is one of the best options for beginner cannabis growers. I hope you enjoyed the article. Let me know what you think!
P.S. You might enjoy the following articles and tutorials:
- How to Grow Up to a Pound of Cannabis with a 315 LEC Grow Light
- Grow 4-7+ oz with a 250W HPS – Step-By-Step Beginner Tutorial
- 250W Cannabis Grow Journal – 6.2 oz Yield
- 400W MH/HPS Cannabis Grow Setup & Tutorial